Saturday, February 9, 2008

McCain, Part I

But what of the Republicans? I may now be wallowing in schadenfreude regarding the Democrat's current troubles, but the odds still favor them having the last laugh in November. Super Tuesday made it clear that Mitt Romney, who had little support in the south, would have been a disaster in the general election, so in that sense it's good that he's out. But conservatives take little solice in having john McCain topping the Republican ticket. I have some sympathy for the argument that losing could be cathartic. It would give the conservative party a chance to reevaluate, to admit its mistakes, to get back to first principles. But I come to my senses when I imagine either Obama or Clinton as president working with an overwhelmingly Democratic Congress. So, given what losing would mean in this situation, winning is essential. And if we're going to win, it's going to be with McCain.

Like many conservatives, I've been coming to grips with that fact over the past few days. As Ace says, the fifth stage of grief is acceptance. So, okay, I've arrived there, though I'm not sure how long I'll stay there. McCain said a lot of good things at CPAC the other day but those of us who've followed him over the years are aware of the uncomfortable fact that John McCain holds conservatives in contempt. And it's a long time until November. While he is saying the right things in February, can his famous arrogance towards conservatism be held in check until the election? I doubt it. Still, we must get behind him so he can win - the alternative is just to awful to contemplate.

I'll be posting more thoughts on McCain over the next few weeks. Forewarned is forearmed.

No comments: