Saturday, July 12, 2008

Tony Snow, RIP

Tony Snow was one of the world's good guys. I loved him for all he did - the Fox News Sunday anchor, the radio show, the press secretary gig with Bush - but most especially I loved his syndicated column, which I read for years before he dropped it to focus on other things. His decency, his humanity, his love of life, family, and country, always shone through. There was a point in the mid-nineties when I withheld judgement on the great moral issues of the day until I read Tony's column and took his views into account. He saw things I didn't see and in ways I couldn't; his deep faith led him to deep wisdom of earthly matters and he delivered his verdicts with a cleared-eyed and joyful optimism. I always learned something from Tony, but mostly I was always reminded of something; what it means to be a truly good person. Tony was.

The world is a poorer place today. Heaven is a little brighter. Rest easy my friend.

No comments: