Saturday, January 24, 2009

Bubba and Biscuit

I gave Biscuit a haircut yesterday morning. It was time. He's a Persian and is just a ball of fur. Here's a picture of him - below left - with his hair long, and not even that long. He's been a lot furrier than this:


Pretty cute, huh? That's the main thing he's got going for him, he's adorable. We got him as a baby as a companion for Bubba when Bubba was about a year old. Here's a picture of Bubba:

My little Bubs is gone now. He died a couple of years ago; his little heart betrayed him. Oh, well. But he was my best buddy. Every night when I'd lie down on the couch to watch some TV he'd hustle downstairs and jump up with me. He'd lie down on my chest and bury his head in my neck while I rubbed him all over. And he'd purrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

Every morning when I'd open the newspaper at the kitchen table he'd jump up and stretch his entire body across it, making it impossible to read. He thought that's what it meant, the opening of the newspaper. He thought I was calling him up to get his morning loving. I'd fool him though; after awhile I learned to open up a page I wasn't interested in and I'd keep the page I wanted to read on the side. So it worked for both of us: he'd get his rubdown, I'd read my paper:

Bubba loved to hunt and chase birds and squirrels. He loved being outside and spent a good part of his life there, or sitting at the door waiting for me to take his outside - he knew I was a soft touch. He liked it when I came out with him, so I'm sure I'm known in the neighborhood as the guy who's spends his whole life outside with his cats. I just could never say no to the little guy. He also loved to sleep, and he did so with a serenity that I still miss - it was impossible to be tense while in the same room with my sleeping Bubba.

Bubba also loved music. If I'd start to sing, he'd hustle over to me and paw at me the whole while. If I put on music he'd jump up on the arm of the chair I was sitting in and settle in. We'd listen together. Seems he had an ear for jazz, especially Billie Holiday. He was a cool hep-cat!

Most days, the first thing we'd see when we arrived home in the afternoon was Bubba sleeping in his bowl on the dining room table - he loved that bowl. He could curl up in it and get comfy and sleep, sleep, sleep:

In the spring and fall, he'd go outside on the deck and sleep the whole afternoon away - then he'd go out there again at night when he was wide awake - he loved the darkness, and the cool breeze. I'd go out every half hour or so and rub him up a little - he loved it out there but he'd get lonely if he was alone too long. I'd sit down in the glider and he'd hop up and cuddle up next to me.

Biscuit and he were kinda buds, though for the most part they kept to themselves. Once in awhile they'd play and wrestle, Biscuit usually being the instigator. Biscuit would follow Bubba around outside - Bubba was always the leader. Here's the two of them waiting at the door to get outside:
And then Bubba got sick. He was almost five when we found out he had congestive heart failure. He lasted another nine months after that. He died on December 10, 2006, age 5 1/2. I still miss him.

But we still have the Biscuit Boy and he's a little sweetie. But he depends on me so much that sometimes it's a bit much. He'll come in the room with me and just sit there staring, waiting for me to play with him, until I finally get up and play.
He used to go outside with Bubba but he seems to have lost interest since Bub is gone. I'll let him out but he's just hangs around the front door and is back in within minutes. Without Bubba around he has no one else to distract him and he knows my wife is no fun. So he hangs around me. If I ignore him he'll finally just wander off and go to sleep.

Don't get me wrong. I'm happy to have him around. He's not like a best buddy like Bubba was but I still love him to death. Anyhow, I've blogged about all sorts of things over the past few years but had yet to mention a couple of the best things in my life - Bubba and Biscuit.

This was Biscuit yesterday, immediately after the haircut:

No comments: