Monday, August 11, 2008

Old Photographs II


Here's my favorite picture of my Mom and Dad together. It was taken on July 1, 1956 at a Johnny Ray concert at the Frolics in Salisbury Beach, Massachusetts. Mom was 21, Dad was 23. They both look like movie stars. No one looked as cool with a cigarette in his hand as my father. And Mom was a stunner. Hell, she still is.

In later years my Dad and I used to go to the Frolics with my Uncle Fat (yes, that's what we called him - a subject for another post at another time) and my cousin Bobby on Friday nights to watch the amateur boxing. It was a load of fun, much of it spent laughing hilariously at the complete ineptitude of some of the so-called boxers - they'd stand in the middle of the ring swinging wildly at each other until one of them accidentally landed a blow. My Dad loved the fights, as did Fat (who was actually my Dad's uncle, my grandfather's younger brother) who would take my Dad into Boston regularly when he was young to see professional fights at the Boston Garden. My Dad loved Rocky Marciano and we had many an argument while standing at the shore at Salisbury Beach looking out at the ocean over who would win a fight between Rocky and Muhammad Ali. Aah, those were the days, never to be recovered.


Anyhow, the Friday night fights at the Frolics were lots of fun. Again, click on the image for a larger view.

No comments: