Saturday, February 6, 2010

Daily Intermission, Nos. 1 and 2

If you pay attention to this blog (all two or three of you) you will have noticed that all my audio emdeds disappeared awhile ago.  That is because Imeem, which I was using for the embeds, was bought out by MySpace.  So the Imeem site no longer exists and all my embeds are gone.  I just modified the front page’s right-hand panel to embed Helen Merrill’s “What’s New” from lala.com.  So that’s fixed.  Now to go back into past posts and fix them. 

Snow.  Lots of it: 

IMG_1679 

That’s the view from my bedroom window down to my deck.  They say Dulles Airport, right down the road from me, already has over 20 inches and we’re supposed to get 6-8 more.  Sigh.  I will admit it is beautiful while it is falling.  But it turns ugly real quick.  And while I don’t normally mind the shoveling my back is already aching - I threw it out while shoveling last weekend’s snow and then pulled it again when shoveling the mid-week snowstorm.  So the prospect of shoveling this much snow out with my back in the shape it’s in is not one I’m looking forward to.  Ah, but we’ll survive.  Someone tell Al Gore all is forgiven if he’ll just come shovel me out.

I decided yesterday – I’d been thinking about it for a few weeks – to try to get something out of facebook.  Not sure if I’d mentioned it before but I find it mostly trivial, at best.  Someone posts something about what they’re doing and then others come in and agree, with exclamation points.  The content is more perishable than cotton candy.  When I first joined a few years ago it was to scope out the site for a possible investment.  But I couldn’t figure out what to do with it, since I had no friends on it and it had yet to catch fire like it now has.  Since then I’ve added a few friends (mostly family) and come to the conclusion above.  As it is used by most, it’s useless.  I can see how it could be a grand place for like-minded people to seriously discuss issues and subjects they are interested in but I don’t see that happening within the limited sphere of my facebook world.  So I thought maybe I would start posting a “Daily Intermission” usually a video or an audio post but maybe a quote that I find funny or interesting.  I’ll post it out there and see if anyone comments.  Yesterday my post was this:

I love this Haydn quartet.  I love all of them from Op. 76, but this one is the one I know best so far.  And it is lovely, and happy, and joyous, even in a minor key.  Haydn made no apologies for his joyous music, stating (I’m paraphrasing) that The Lord had given him a joyful heart and his music reflected that.   

So what reaction did I get from facebook.  Bupkis.  Nada.  Nothing.  Oh well, let’s see if today’s gets a response:

This was the highlight of HBO’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th Anniversary show for me.  Bruce closing with “Higher and Higher” came close but this is simply too beautiful a rendition of this song to take second place.  It’s perfect. 

So let’s see what happens with my new project.  I spent a good part of yesterday on youtube coming up with future “Daily Intermissions”.  I think I will post them all here too, with commentary, and figure out how to lead the facebook crowd this way.  I’m sure it can be done but I haven’t looked into it yet.  Anyhow, I’ve got to go grab a shovel.  And take a couple Aleve’s. 

No comments: